This has been a long week. I'm exhausted. Is it because we are over halfway through the school year, the fact that we are halfway through this semester for grad classes, or is it just me?
via GIPHY
This time around I came across a new frustration:
I got my hopes up because in the alert emails that I received, there were tons of articles! So many that I clicked on ended up being some kind of spam link. No. I did not actually win thousands of dollars, a new i-pad, or a car. And, no. I did not find a whole lot of useful information from those 'articles.'
What I did find was helpful in bringing my spirits back up was an article from Texas talking about how a school district is allocating tons of money to help in English and ESL classrooms:
Give them the money!💰
Then I found an article entitled, "Do the Benefits of Digital Devices in School Classrooms Outweigh the Downsides?" This is great. Except I would need to subscribe to The Wall Street Journal...nope.😐
Here is the link if you are curious.
I did find one that applies to my professional life and my ESL technology class. As far the connection to my professional life, we have been focusing on how to prevent burn out, and one way to do that is to share thank you notes with those that we don't usually get to thank or appreciate. (It really does make you feel better!)
The article talks about an app called GiveThx. It is a program where students, who may be too shy to express their gratitude in person can do so. (ELLs!) Teachers can give feedback and foster community through the app. This also could apply to my Digital Story! Woot! 😀
Greater Good

Hi SarahJean!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this article that you shared! I felt like I could relate to it on multiple levels. First of all, growing up in school I was usually pretty shy. I had my friends, but I was usually pretty shy around peers that I didn't know and my teachers. As an adult and a teacher now, I try to be mindful of that in terms of students who are shy in school today. As an ESL teacher, most of my students are pretty shy in their regular education classrooms. Fortunately, they are usually less shy around me in my classroom because it is a small group of learning. My school does a pretty decent job at stressing the social-emotional learning aspect that your article discussed. Some teachers spend alot of time focusing on this, and it resonates around the school. My English learners would greatly benefit from GiveThx. It would encourage them to take a step back and really think about aspects of their school day, or life outside of school, that they appreciate and who those people are that are responsible for that positivity in their lives. This would help them to express these thoughts if doing so face-to-face makes them feel uncomfortable. This was a great article to read, thank you for sharing it!