Saturday, February 15, 2020

Unit 4 Post


To my fellow classmates: Apologies for the lateness of my post.

Lesson Learned from this assignment: Read instructions word for word- even when you think you know what it is...Practice what you preach when you work with middle school students.

X, X Everywhere Meme | IT'S THIS NEW THING... CALLED "READING THE DIRECTIONS" | image tagged in memes,x x everywhere | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

On that note:

After not actually getting my alerts to work correctly - and I am still working on getting them to function properly - and receiving some help (thank you!), I looked through what was shared with me to find a few topics that stood out for me.

The first thing that I noticed, is that most of the studies that I found focused on adult learners in universities. I understand that this might be an easier age group to work with, but I am curious about the age groups that I work with. I think I will try to change, or add age groups to my alerts to see if I can find more information about them.

One of the topics was using game based language learning and the other was how technology might be able to help with anxiety in language learning. I was a bit disappointed that I struggled to access the articles after finding them on the alerts. I tried using the library website and resources available to use through school, but I still was not able to gain access to more than the abstracts of the articles. I did, however, find some interesting information through the article previews.

Abstract for Game Based Language Learning

Students in a Japanese University used Sims 4 to help with their communicative competence in English. Where the quantitative data did not show growth, the qualitative data showed that with the instructor's support, there was plenty of opportunity for practice.

I found this to be interesting because most of my students spend a lot of time playing video games in their free time. I wonder how I could incorporate gaming into our studies.

Abstract for Technology & Anxiety

This also looked at students in a University, in China, I believe. What really struck me is the emphasis on how technology can ease the anxiety of language learning, but not just any technology - but through the technology-assisted learning process. I think I would like to know what, exactly that is.

I think that it would be helpful to know what kinds of programs we could incorporate in the classroom to ease our ELL's anxiety.



This week has been a rough one, and it has also translated into my grad classes. This post is late, and I am furious with myself for not making note that it was due on Thursday, and not Saturday. I really thought that I had all of my ducks in a semi-functioning row.
🦆🦆🦆🤯😠😑🦆🦆🦆

No comments:

Post a Comment