You guys! I figured it out (or should I say, our professor helped me go through all the steps to getting the alerts to actually do something).
I have received enough alert emails to realize that I still may have some work to do with my wording of the alerts, however I still had enough in the emails that the amount of browser tabs that I had opened was ridiculous. I was able to exit out of a few of them, because even though they were interesting, they did not apply to our studies (AI learning new languages, and a library in MA that offers ESL conversation classes!).
This article stood out the most to me: Mobile Apps for ESL
I actually had to stand up and take a break after reading the first paragraph of the second section because I hadn't seen a term before (even though, thinking back, I feel like I should know this one...). We all know CALL. But have you heard of MALL? No, not where you like to shop... I now have "Let's go to the Mall" from the show How I Met Your Mother stuck in my head...
Mobile-Assisted Language Learning (MALL).
I feel that with so many school buildings going to BYOD policies, or 1-to-1 programs with technology, that apps and even mobile devices can really be helpful with learning an L2.

Oh! Here is a podcast that looks pretty awesome, and it deals with K-12 ESL: Adventures in ESL
I ran across the MALL term too this week from a different author (https://escholarship.org/uc/item/7v93n9xq - Mobile Language Learning: The Medium is ^not the message) and https://theconversation.com/why-emojis-and-hashtags-should-be-part-of-language-learning-123943- Why emojis and #hashtags should be part of language learning). I never knew that it existed but it definitely makes sense since a lot of technology is now mobile (apps, for example). The article I read addressed the need to now as an educator also teach students online terminology in the second language as emojis and hashtags are changing how we view and teach grammar!
ReplyDelete