I feel like all I've done this week is wade through dead links or click on links that lead to...spam. I'm not going to lie, I also was quite preoccupied this week, as I was in Harrisburg at the MEP/ESL Conference. So, when I would go back to my hotel room, and now my home, the last thing that I wanted to do was open up my alerts to click on the aforementioned frustrations.
With that being said, I did find a couple of articles that related to what I was doing this week. I was networking with fellow ESL teachers in our state and attending professional development with, and sometimes lead by, those teachers. The first article is about a young woman who has taken her schooling to give back to her community. Not only does she contribute to the positive environment in her library, but she also teaches computer courses, and adult ESL classes, among other things.
Needing to feel inspired? Click me!
The other article that I enjoyed is entitled
Access to Quality PD Is an Equity Issue, Teachers Say
Since I spent so much time sitting in PDs for what feels like forever (I wish I could stand to type this), this article caught my eye, and since it wasn't a dead link, I was able to read it! I feel like most of the article was venting about not having access to the kind of PD that we as educators may want, but that most school districts attempt to give teachers the PD they need to make education more equitable for the students by giving sessions on how to teach ELs or on technology.
What was the last PD session that you had that was meaningful for you? What PD do you wish you had access to?
SarahJean!
ReplyDeleteYour blog is amazing! I love the SPAM and yes...I think all teachers are feeling a real lull right now. It's been a winterless winter and we are already Springed out! The last PD session I had that was meaningful was 3 or 4 years ago where we had John Collins come and he introduced us to the Collins Writing Program. He was hilarious and I loved the methods. Since then, our PD sessions have been admin. driven that clearly were thrown together last minute. I wish I had access to literacy strategies and technology skills before we go 1:1 next year. Thank you for sharing!
Renee